The Gay Straight Alliance for Safe Schools (“GSAFE”) Youth Scholarship awards four high school seniors $1000 each. The recipients of these awards will have demonstrated a commitment to promoting safe, respectful, and just schools for all, with an emphasis on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students and issues (LGBT). This scholarship is open to all Wisconsin high school seniors, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
Scholarships to be presented at May 10 Celebration of Leadership in Madison, WI
2013 GSAFE Scholarship Recipients – Photo by Eric Baillies
Are you a graduating senior? Have you made change?
Download a PDF version of the application here.
Download a Word version of the application here.
Examples of activities that might bring an applicant to the attention of GSAFE include, but are not limited to:
- An LGBT student who has demonstrated leadership in the school community.
- A student who has organized to promote safety, respect, and justice for LGBT people.
- A student who has faced and sought to overcome obstacles related to LGBT issues.
- A student who has been active in the formation or the continuation of a Gay-Straight Alliance or similar club.
- A student who has consistently included LGBT materials in his/her/hir coursework.
- A student who has been an active part of community efforts involving LGBT issues.
Requirements for the Youth Scholarship
- Graduating High School Senior
- Resident of Wisconsin
- Completion of enclosed application
- Two letters of recommendation. One recommendation must be written by a member of your school staff
- If awarded scholarship: Attendance at GSAFE’s Celebration of Leadership Awards Ceremony in Madison on May 10, 2014. Please keep this date and requirement in mind when applying for our scholarship as we take it seriously. Complementary tickets for you and two guests will be provided.
All applications must be received by February 24, 2014 and will be kept confidential.
Announcement: April 2014
For Further Information call (608) 661-4141 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.