Youth Leadership Organizer Job Description
Applications must be received by 4pm on 2/21/2020
Position: Youth Leadership Organizer
Reports to: Ali Muldrow, Co-Director
Location: Madison, WI
Type: Full Time
Start: March 23, 2020
Salary Range: $38,000-$42,000 per year plus benefits package.
GSAFE increases the capacity of Wisconsin’s LGBTQ+ youth and students, educational staff, and families to create school environments where all LGBTQ+ youth and students thrive. We do this by:
- Developing the leadership of LGBTQ+ and allied youth,
- Supporting GSAs,
- Training educational staff on creating safe and supportive school environments,
- Facilitation of youth programing
- Deepening educational justice
Our vision is school communities where all LGBTQ youth and students thrive.
Gay Straight Alliance for Safe Schools values integrity, honesty, openness, and authenticity. We are committed to youth leadership, racial justice, and social justice. Recognizing we are all life-long learners and teachers, we hold ourselves accountable to the youth we serve as well as each other, our board, funders, partner organizations, and the broader community by honoring our commitments and continuously reflecting on and improving our work. We dig deep, think creatively, take on big challenges, and pride ourselves on seeing our vision become a reality. We are driven by a vision of a world free of oppression based on gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, and other identities and strive to model the world we want to exist through our everyday actions.
The Youth Leadership Organizer will be based in Madison and will be responsible for GSAFE’s youth leadership programs. This includes supporting and co-facilitating our weekly Foundations of Leadership class for advanced learners in Madison public schools, planning and implementing our annual summer Leadership Training Institute for Wisconsin high school students, and creating and facilitating an ongoing youth leadership council.
Specifically, the Youth Leadership Organizer will:
- Co-facilitate weekly course focused on the leadership development of Madison public high school students
- Work with MMSD and other community organization collaborators on program planning & expansion, recruitment, and evaluation.
- Work with student leaders to plan, staff, recruit for, and implement annual Leadership Training Institute held in August/July.
- Oversee the successful implementation and growth of a multi-racial and multi-gender leadership council for youth in the greater Dane county area.
- Lead the development and implementation of a program plan that builds community, encourages identity development and reflection, and fosters leadership growth among participants.
- Support leadership projects as identified by group members, including collaborating with student leaders and GSAFE team to apply for grant and other funding sources.
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure the successful planning and implementation of hallmark community events and fundraisers (eg, Celebration of Leadership, Trick or Trot, Unity Conference, Statewide Conference on LGBTQ+ Youth)
- Ensure effective, timely evaluation of program goals.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
The position is funded in part by an annual grant and corporate sponsorship.
- Knowledge of and commitment to LGBTQ rights, racial and educational justice, and youth leadership.
- Understanding and passion for community organizing; exceptional relationship-building skills.
- Strong skills in working with diverse groups of people
- Strong verbal/ written communications skills and a demonstrated ability to engage in and facilitate cross-cultural conversations.
- Demonstrated ability to create class curriculum, teach to a diverse group of students, and assist students in meeting course goals.
- Excellent personal accountability, problem-solving, self-motivation and follow through skills.
- Proven ability to work well as a team member
- Ability to create and execute program plans. Ability to flexibly adjust plans in response to rapid external shifts.
- Demonstrated capacity to think logically, manage details, set and manage deadlines, and multitask.
- Understanding of gender diversity issues in schools and/or willingness to learn.
- Reliable access to vehicle, valid drivers license and insurance.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel between program sites during the day.
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Proven ability and readiness to learn new technologies, such as working with a database, website support and maintenance, and social media.
- Experience working within schools and building strategic relationships within educational institutions.
- Track record of successful youth leadership and youth-led organizing work – either as youth and/or adult.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications must be received by 4pm on 2/21/2020
GSAFE is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and transgender/nonbinary people encouraged to apply.
Incoming search terms:
- https://gsafewi org/youth-leadership-organizer-job-description/