GSAFE and Janesville Mobilizing 4 Change (JM4C) are pleased to present “Safe Schools, Safe Communities: State Conference on LGBTQ+ Youth” on Friday, March 8, 2019. This year’s conference will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Parker High School in Janesville.
Safe Schools, Safe Communities will feature a variety of speakers and workshops facilitated by local and regional experts. Conference participants will gain critical skills, tools, knowledge, and connections to help lead and support efforts to create more inclusive environments for lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, transgender, nonbinary, queer, and questioning youth across Wisconsin.
Confirmed workshop topics include:
- Deconstructing the Gender Binary in the Classroom and Community Groups
- Consent Culture
- The Rights of LGBTQ+ Youth
- Rethinking School Discipline and Youth Incarceration
- Responding to Hate: The Mount Horeb Story
- Securing and Implementing Protections for Transgender and Nonbinary Youth
- Creating LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Faith Communities
- In-School Supports Beyond the GSA
- Preparing LGBTQ+ Youth for the Transition to College
- Addressing LGBTQ+ Topics at the Elementary Level
- Violence and the LGBTQ+ Community
- Creating Community Supports
- Supporting the Mental and Physical Health of LGBTQ+
- Increasing Cultural Competency around Working with Transgender and Nonbinary Youth
- And More!
Our target audience includes adults who work with youth and their families as well as youth delegates from middle school and high school-age groups or clubs in schools or in the community. School and community-based youth groups and clubs are invited to designate and register up to two youth delegates to attend SSSC19.
We have a limited number of full and partial scholarships available to individuals wishing to attend SSSC19. If you are in need of a scholarship, would prefer to register offline, need to be invoiced, or have additional questions please contact Brian J. at (608) 661-4141 or email email@example.com.
We are now accepting workshop proposals for Safe Schools, Safe Communities 2019 from individuals, groups, and organizations. Please complete our request for proposal form here.
Conference schedule coming soon!
We are excited to announce that Kenosha School District graduate and current UW-Madison Student Ash Whitaker and his attorney Joseph Wardenski (Relman, Dane, and Colfax PLLC) will be joining us for a late morning session focused on examining the rights of transgender and nonbinary youth in our public schools and community. In 2018 the 7th Federal Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed Ash’s Title IX and 14th Amendment Right to be treated as a young man in all aspects of his Kenosha high school community, including using the boys bathroom. His district had repeatedly challenged and appealed lower court rulings. What does this decision mean for public schools across the state? How can communities work together with school leaders to ensure transgender and nonbinary youth are included and protected in our schools?
Stay tuned for additional announcements and additions!
This year’s workshops will focus on topics including:
- Creating and Sustaining GSAs at middle and high schools
- Exploring Gender Norms and Expectations
- Challenging Incarceration of LGBTQ+ Youth
- Using Theater for Self Expression and Community Change
- Local Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Youth Data and Implementations for Schools and Communities
- Inclusive Curriculum in the Middle School Classroom
- What Parents Need You to Know about Supporting Their Transgender Child and Family
- Creating Effective Youth-Adult Partnerships
- LGBTQ+ Youth Under the Influence
- Health and Sexual Wellness for Young Lesbian, Bisexual, and Queer Women
- Addressing Bias-Based Bullying in Elementary Schools Using the Welcoming Schools Approach
Online registration is open! Early bird rates available through January 31st. Please contact the GSAFE office at (608) 661-4141 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The conference will be held at Janesville Parker High School. Map and parking directions coming soon.
If you need an accommodation to attend this event, please contact us. Requests for sign or other language interpreters, real time captioning, Braille or electronic documents should be directed to Brian J. at email@example.com or (608) 661-4141. We will attempt to fulfill requests made two weeks before the conference but cannot guarantee they will be met.
In an effort to make the conference accessible to people of all genders, there will be all gender bathrooms at the conference. Regardless of what bathroom you choose to use, please respect everyone’s right to use the bathroom. Each of us can decide for ourselves which bathroom we belong in.
Incoming search terms:
- https://www gsafewi org/events/statewide-conference-on-lgbt-youth/
- LBGTQ conference phoenix november 30 2018 ADE
- save the youth conference